Major Events and Top News Headlines of 28 February 2010:
- A livelihood generation model, financed through micro-credit released by women’s self-help groups (SHGs) in the dusty Rajput-dominated Jhund village of Jaipur district, has impressed representatives of Commonwealth countries who are now keen to replicate it in regions where the social milieu and economic conditions are identical.
- India has caught out an American attempt to go back on an agreement not to push for international “scrutiny” of voluntary attempts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, negotiated between Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, U.S. President Barack Obama and the heads of government of China, Brazil and South Africa at the UN climate change talks in Copenhagen last December.
- Even on Chinese New Year’s day, when all of the country comes to a standstill, the hammering does not stop along the banks of the Huangpu river.
- President Barack Obama called his Chilean counterpart Michelle Bachelet to express condolence in the aftermath of the massive earthquake in the country in which hundreds are feared dead, even as he said that US is ready to provide assistance in relief efforts.
- Ace drag-flicker Sandeep Singh rose to the occasion and converted two penalty corners as hosts India outplayed Pakistan in a thrilling Pool B match of the Hero Honda FIH World Cup at Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium here on Sunday.