Major Events and Top News Headlines of 28 September 2010:
- Mobile phone sales in the country has touched an all—time high at 38.63 million units in April—June 2010, growing 6.3 per cent quarter—on—quarter, according to advisory firm IDC.
- The State government on Tuesday decided to transfer to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), five cases concerning threat letters to All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam general secretary Jayalalithaa. The move follows the demand by the AIADMK that the cases be entrusted with the CBI.
- West Bengal Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee criticised the Trinamool Congress here on Tuesday for destroying the panchayat and rationing system in the State, claiming that the rural bodies controlled by the party in two districts in the State fared the worst when it comes to ensuring development.
- The C.P. Adithanar Senior Tamil Scholar Award was presented to V.C. Kulandaisamy, former Vice-Chancellor, Anna University, and the C.P. Adithanar Literary Award to M. Metha, poet, here on Monday.
- India and China are likely to remain the fastest—growing HNWI segment in the world, a report said.