Major Events and Top News Headlines of 29 August 2009:
- Apparently not wanting to wade into problems of BJP, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said on Saturday that what was happening in that party was not good and felt the controversies over Kandahar and Pokhran-II were needless.
- The Dalit families from Dhada village in Deesa, who have been camping outside the local mamlatdar’s office for weeks, have refused to return home even after Banaskantha District Collector R J Patel assured them of taking care of their concerns.
- As 10,000 people streamed into its territory for refuge, China on Saturday told Myanmar to ensure stability along the border and protect people of Chinese origin living on its soil.
- Naxalites in Jharkhand gunned down a woman and three students living as tenants at her house in a village near Ranchi on Friday.
- While struggling national carrier Air India is likely to get relief from the government on Saturday, it will be with riders.