Major Events and Top News Headlines of 29 July 2009:
- The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC)’ s report on the Zamrudpur mishap may not be considered as evidence in an independent investigation being carried out by the Delhi Police, a senior officer said.
- The BJP on Thursday attacked Prime Minister Manmohan Singh over the Indo-Pak joint statement, saying it will create difficulties for New Delhi in the future.
- While recession kept most foreign multinationals away from the Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) this year, it was Indian companies that came to their rescue.
- Half-centuries from Shakib Al Hasan and Mohammad Ashraful trumped a maiden One-day International hundred from Travis Dowlin, and inspired Bangladesh to a three-wicket win over West Indies in the second ODI to take an unbeatable 2-0 lead in the series.
- For the first time in recent years, no Indian writer figures in the long-list for the 2009 Man Booker prize, with noted writer J.M. Coetzee, who won the prestigious prize in 1983 and 1999, in the running again for his book, Summertime.