Major Events and Top News Headlines of 29 June 2009:
- After reaping the benefits of going it alone in Uttar Pradesh in the recent Lok Sabha elections, the Congress is once again mulling over a similar decision. This time, it’s about Maharashtra.
- The biggest challenge before the new Finance Minister is reining in the bloated fiscal deficit, the bulk of which is actually revenue deficit. All the targets of FRBM Act have been missed and we need to set new targets for fiscal and revenue deficits.
- Bapu Shingara Singh, believed to be sole survivor of the Jallianwalan Bagh Massacre in 1919, passed away in Amritsar on Monday after a prolonged illness. He was 113 years old.
- Indian cricketers hiding their injuries prior to the World T20 tournament, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has finally decided to act.
- The success of the ICC World T20 Championships in London has once again re-iterated the strength and vitality of the T20 format. Within a year there will be two more high profile T20 events in India and England.