Major Events and Top News Headlines of 29 September 2009:
- Militants struck at a crowded bus stand in Jammu and Kashmir’s Sopore town this evening, killing three CRPF jawans, including a head constable, and seriously wounding a woman bystander.
- Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) chairperson Nandan M. Nilekani has said that the ambitious initiative of the Government of India to provide each citizen with a unique identification number.
- The Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad (IIM-A), has in principle accepted the pay structure revision as suggested by the Central government but has kept its implementation in abeyance for a month due to some concerns.
- Former President Guillermo Endara, who led Panama to democracy after the U.S. invasion that toppled dictator Gen. Manuel Noriega, died Monday. He was 73.
- The draft Model Real Estate (Regulation of Development) Act, released recently by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation, seems to have evoked a mixed response from the realty sector of Chennai.