Major Events and Top News Headlines of 30 August 2009:
- Giancarlo Fisichella gave Force India an astonishing first pole position on Saturday while Formula One championship leader Jenson Button qualified 14th for the Belgian Grand Prix.
- Sri Lanka clinched second spot behind South Africa in the official rankings as they swept aside New Zealand by 96 runs in the final cricket Test on Sunday to sweep the series 2-0. Left-arm spinner Rangana Herath claimed five wickets as the Kiwis, set an improbable victory target of 494 runs, were bowled out for 397 in their second innings just before tea on the fifth day.
- Japan’s Prime Minister Taro Aso conceded defeat in elections as media exit polls indicated the Opposition had won by a landslide, sending the conservatives out of power after 54 years of nearly unbroken rule amid widespread economic anxiety and desire for change.
- Grappling with infighting, the BJP on Saturday could not mount an effective attack against the UPA government as it completed 100 days in office.
- Pakistan on Saturday accused India of “shying away” from peace talks even though Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had acknowledged that dialogue is the only way forward for the two countries.