Major Events and Top News Headlines of 30 June 2009:
- The chairman of the Prime Minister’s Economic Advisory Council Suresh Tendulkar on Monday said the economy would grow by at least seven per cent during the current financial year provided the monsoon does not fail.
- At its best, the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) is perceived as a lethargic and laid-back organisation where work culture does not exist. But the reality is worse than that, as around 45,000 MCD employees are untraceable, but they continue to draw salaries.
- While high profile rape cases from all over the country hogging the national headlines, Delhi Police has a thing or two clarify for the capital. They claim crime against women is actually on the decline in the capital, quite in contrast to the popular perception.
- Chucking Section 377 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) is easier said than done.
- The government proposed then decided to beat a hasty retreat.
- The first case of Tamiflu-resistant H1N1 virus causing swine flu has been reported from Denmark.