Major Events and Top News Headlines of 30 September 2009:
- A day after the Indian government withdrew its case against Italian businessman Ottavio Quattrocchi in the Bofors payoff issue, Union Law Minister Veerapa Moily today said that New Delhi had examined all possibilities and “found nothing was positive” in the matter.
- Seeking international cooperation in its efforts for a major expansion in the nuclear programme, India today said benefits of atomic energy should not remain confined to a “privileged few” as it was vital to meet power requirements of developing countries.
- Is there any need for deemed universities? This question came from a Supreme Court Bench after Solicitor-General (SG) Gopal Subramaniam said on Tuesday the Prof.
- A team of Japanese archaeologists claim to have unearthed the oldest stone tools in Japan —— 20 artifacts dating back some 120,000 years —— in Izumo, Shimane Prefecture.
- At least 129 overseas students, mostly from India, will be displaced due to the closure of a private institute in Melbourne under the government’s rapid audit programme for “high risk” colleges.