Major Events and Top News Headlines of 31 August 2009:
- India will begin in December its first round of consultations with the Swiss Government on tracing black money stashed by Indians in banks in that country, but there is no guarantee of prosecution of offenders on the basis of information secured from them.
- The Centre on Monday asked the states to cooperate in implementation of the Right To Education Act as a whopping Rs 1.5 lakh crore would be required for it in the next five years.
- Hollywood star Sandra Bullock insists that the best way to get a date is to secretly stalk the man you like.
- Pakistan cricket batting advisor and former captain Javed Miandad has asked pitch curators to prepare a green and pacy surface at the Gaddafi Stadium to prepare batsmen for the bouncy South African wickets.
- Japan’s next leader, Yukio Hatoyama, fresh from a historic election win, faced the task on Monday of forming a government to tackle challenges such as reviving the economy and steering a new course with close ally Washington.