Major Events and Top News Headlines of 31 July 2010:
- Strongly refuting allegations of financial irregularities in the Commonwealth Games, Organising Committee chairman Suresh Kalmadi today said that there was total transparency in all the deals and “every pie is accounted for”.
- The state government has issued a directive to put on hold the construction of flats under the Kanshiram Shahri Gareeb Awas Yojna — a scheme aimed at providing free houses to the urban poor.
- America was abuzz on Saturday with what is being billed as the ‘wedding of the century’ with former first daughter Chelsea Clinton tying the knot with investment banker Marc Mezvinsky, after an intensively secret build-up.
- A day after Rs 78,000 was looted from an employee of the Uttar Haryana Bijli Vittaran Nigam Limited, the police released the sketches of suspects on Friday.
- State-owned oil firms raised jet fuel, or ATF, prices by 2.7 per cent after lowering the rates at the last fortnightly revision on July 16.