Geologists Examination UPSC: Geologists study Earth’s materials, processes, structure and species that have evolved during the history of earth. Their work is important to the country as they study the pattern of floods, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions and landslides in the past. Based on their study they predict these natural disasters probability in the future thus saving a lot in terms of human life and assets.
Geologists Examination is conducted by UPSC every year to recruit for the posts as per the following two categories:
1. The first category has two positions in the Geological Survey of India:
- Junior Geologist, Group A and
- Assistant Geologist, Group B
2. The second category has two positions in CGWB (Central Ground Water Board) at select centers in India.
- Jr. Hydrogeologist, Group A and
- Assistant Hydrogeologist, Group B
Candidates, chosen are appointed on probation for two years. During their tenure candidates undergo training and after that a test is conducted the competent authority.
a. Age Limits: Candidates should at least be 21 years of age and must not exceed the age limit of 32 years on January 1 of the year of examination. Candidates belonging to the PH, SC, ST and OBC categories are offered some relaxation in terms of age
b. Educational Qualifications: Candidate must have one of the following educational qualifications:
- Master Degree in Marine Geology or Applied Geology or Geology
- Master Degree in Mineral Exploration (only for positions in Geological Survey of India only)
- Master Degree in Hydrogeology (only for positions in CGWB)
c. Diploma in Applied Geology of the Indian School of Mines.
d. Physical Standards: Candidates must be fit as per rules for the Geologists Examination (Appendix-II of Commision’s Notice).
Candidates must apply through the common application form, which is available for cash payment of Rs. 20 at selected Post Offices all across the country. Separate form has to be used for each examination.
Applications Fee is Rs 100/-, payable through Central Recruitment Fee Stamp only. SC/ST/PH candidates are exempted from application fee.
All applications must be sent to “Secretary Union Public Service Commission, Dholpur House, Shahjahan Road, New Delhi-11 0069” on or before the last date. The detailed information about the dates and exam schedule is published in the commission’s notice, which is published in the employment news and some other newspapers. So, All you intriguing souls go on and explore the earth.