Winners of National Sports Awards 2016 (Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, Dronacharya, Arjuna Awards):
Sports Ministry of India on 22 August 2016 announced National sports awards for those players who have performed well in the field of sport. The main aim of sports wards is to enhance the player’s spirit and recognize their notable achievements in their field of sports. Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna awards for Rio Olympics medallists P.V. Sindhu (Shuttler) and Sakshi Malik (Wrestler) along with Dipa Karmakar (Gymnast) and Jitu Rai (Shooter). Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award comprises a cash prize of Rs.7.5 lakh along with a medal and a citation.
National Sports Awards are given every year to recognise and reward excellence in sports. Indian President Pranab Mukherjee will give away the awards at Rashtrapati Bhavan on 29th August 2016, which is celebrated as the National Sports Day.
Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award: It is India’s highest sporting award given for the spectacular and most outstanding performance in the field of sports by a sportsperson over a period of four years.
Winners of Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award 2016
- P.V. Sindhu: Badminton
- Sakshi Malik: Wrestling
- Dipa Karmakar: Gymnastics
- Jitu Rai: Shooting
Dronacharya Award: It bestowed upon coaches for producing medal winners at prestigious international sports events.
Winners of Dronacharya Award 2016
- Nagapuri Ramesh: Athletics
- Sagar Mal Dhayal: Boxing
- Raj Kumar Sharma: Cricket
- Bishweshwar Nandi: Gymnastics
- Pradeep Kumar: Swimming (Lifetime)
- Mahabir Singh: Wrestling (Lifetime)
Arjuna Award: It is India’s second highest sporting award bestowed upon sportsperson for consistently outstanding performance for four years.
Winners of Arjuna Award 2016:
- Rajat Chauhan: Archery
- Lalita Babar: Athletics
- Sourav Kothari: Billiards and Snooker
- Shiva Thapa: Boxing
- Ajinkya Rahane: Cricket
- Rani: Hockey
- Subrata Paul: Football
- V R Raghunath: Hockey
- Gurpreet Singh: Shooting
- Apurvi Chandela: Shooting
- Soumyajit Ghosh: Table Tennis
- Vinesh Poghat: Wrestling
- Amit Kumar: Wrestling
- Sandeep Singh Mann: Para-Athletics
- Virender Singh: Wrestling (Deaf)
Dhyan Chand Award: It is bestowed upon sports-persons for life time contribution to sports development.
Winners of Dhyan Chand Award 2016
- Satti Geetha: Athletics
- Sylvanus Dung Dung: Hockey
- Rajendra Pralhad Shelke: Rowing
Maulana Abul Kalam Azad (MAKA) Trophy It is bestowed upon overall top performing university in inter-university tournaments.
Winners of Maulana Abul Kalam Azad (MAKA) Trophy 2015-16: Punjabi University, Patiala.
Winners of Rashtriya Khel Protsahana Purushkar 2016
- Reserve Bank of India (Employment to sports-persons and other welfare measures),
- India Infrastructure Finance Corporate Limited (Encouragement to sports through corporate social responsibility), Subroto Mukherjee Sports Education Society (Sports for Development).
- Hockey Citizen Group
- Dadar Parsee Zorostrian Cricket Club
- Usha School of Athletics