About the Yamunotri Temple:
Yamunotri Temple is located at an elevation of 3235 meters above sea level in the Garhwal Himalayas. This temple starts with the first pilgrimage of the journey of Char Dham this place and this is the first stop for this Char Dham Yatra. It is believed that the temple was constructed by Maharaja Pratap Shah of Tehri Garhwal in 1919 while devoting to the Goddess Yamuna. Yamunotri Temple has been completely destroyed once. And this temple was rebuilt in 19th century by the “Maharani Gulariya” of Jaipur.
History of Yamunotri Temple:
The temple of Yamunotri is dedicated to Yamuna, which is considered to be the mother of mankind. Yamuna is one of the major rivers of India; Yamuna river is a part of three sister rivers, which include Ganga and Saraswati. The temple of Yamunotri was built in 1839 by the ruler of the kingdom, Maharaja Pratap Shah, but was badly damaged by snow and flood. At the end of the 19th century, it was made by Maharani Gularia of Jaipur.
Quick info about Yamunotri Temple:
||Maharaja Pratap Shah
Interesting Fact of Yamunotri Temple:
- The construction of this temple has been started by Maharaja Pratap Shah.
- Yamunotri is a sacred place encircled with mountains, greenery and purity.
- Daily religious rites are performed by Hindu priests well versed in Vedic Shastras. Most of the priests are from Kharsali village near Janki Chatti.
- The temple is dedicated to Goddess Yamuna and has a black marble idol of the goddess.
- Surrounded by the snow clad mountains, the temple features hot water springs around it especially the Surya Kund.
- The Yamunotri Temple remains closed for most of the year due to snowfall and rains.
- The temple is made from granite stones and the top has a cone- shaped minaret which is pale yellow colour with bright vermillion border.
- The Yamunotri Temple in the state of Uttarakhand is naturally bestowed with abundant beauty and charm. it is above of the sea level of 3293 meters.
- Among the most sought after tourist attraction in Yamunotri, Janki Chatti is positioned just 3 km away.
- A beautiful place situated nearby Janki Chatti, Kharsali is one of the highly visited tourist attractions of Yamunotri.