Four Main Indian National Awards:
- Bharat Ratna– This is the highest civilian award in India and is given for exceptional work for the advancement of art, literature, science and in recognition of public services of the highest order.
- Padma Vibhushan-This is the second highest award and is given for exceptional and distinguished services in any field inclusive of service rendered by government a servants.
- Padma Bhushan-It is awarded for distinguished service of a high order in any field, including government services.
- Padma Shree-It is given for distinguished services in any field including service rendered by government servants.
These all above four award are given on Republic Day.
Gallantry Awards: These are given to those who display valour and conspicuous bravery in the presence of enemy.
- Param Vir Chakra– The highest decoration for velour, it is awarded for the most conspicuous bravery or some daring or prominent act of valour, whether on land, at sea or in the air. Find the list of Param Vir Chakra Awardees.
- Maha Vir Chakra– It is awarded for ants of exemplary gallantry in the presence of enemy whether at sea, on land or in the air. Find the list of Maha Vir Chakra Awardees.
- Vir Chakra– It is the third in the order of gallantry awards and is given for ants of gallantry in the presence of the enemy, whether on land, at sea or in the air. Find the list of Vir Chakra Awardees.
- Ashoka Chakra– It is awarded for bravery or some daring or prominent act of valour or self- sacrifice, at sea, in the air or on land.
- Kirti Chakra– It is a decoration award for gallantry.
- Shaurya Chakra-This is also a gallantry award.
- Jeevan Raksha Awards-These medals are awarded for meritorious ants or a series of ants of a human nature displayed in saving a person from drowning, fire and rescue operations in mines etc.
- Sarvottam Jeevan Raksha Padak-The medal is awarded for conspicuous courage under circumstances of very great danger to the life of the rescuer.
- Uttam Jeevan Raksha Padak– The medal is awarded for courage and promptitude under circumstances of great danger to the life of rescuer.