February 2018 Current Affairs
October 2017 Current Affairs
- African National Congress President Cyril Ramaphosa has been elected as the new President of South Africa on February 15, 2018. He has replaced Jacob Zuma, who resigned from his post on February 14, 2018. Earlier Cyril Ramapho was working as the Vice President of the country.
- Justice Abhilasha Kumari sworn in as the first woman judge of the Manipur High Court. For the first time a woman senior advocate will be judged directly in the Supreme Court.
- PepsiCo appointed President and CEO Indira Nooyi as the first independent woman director of the International Cricket Council (ICC) on February 09, 2018. They will join the ICC Board in June this year.
- On 21 January 2018 Election Commissioner Om Prakash Rawat has been appointed as the new Chief Election Commissioner of India. He will replace the current Chief Election Commissioner, Achal Kumar Jyoti on January 23. Along with this, former Finance Secretary Ashok Lavasa has been made Election Commissioner.
- Country famous scientist Siwan has been appointed the new president of the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO). He will replace S. Kiran Kumar, who was appointed on 12 January 2015. His tenure will be three years. Sivan is currently a director in Vikram Sarabhai Space Center.
- Vijay Keshav Gokhale, senior IPS officer of 1981 batch has been appointed as the new Foreign Secretary of India on 01 January 2018. Vijay Keshav Gokhale will take charge of the Foreign Secretary on January 29 as the present foreign secretary S. Jaishankar's tenure is being completed on 28th January. The term of Vijay Keshav Gokhale will be of two years. Gokhale has been India's Ambassador to Germany from October 2013 to January 2016
- On December 25, 2017, Vijay Rupani has been sworn in for the second time in the Chief Minister's post in Gujrat's Capital Gandhinagar. At the same time, Nitin Patel has been the Deputy Chief Minister for the second consecutive time. The BJP had secured majority in the recent Assembly elections by winning 99 seats in the 182-member house.
- On December 21, 2017, Indian Foreign Service Senior Officer M. Subbarayudu has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to Peru (Capital-Lima). He is a 1994 batch IFS officer.
- Former Chilean President Sebastian Pinera has been elected as President of Chile for another term again. Pinera got 54.58 percent of the votes in the presidential election, while opposition opponent Alejandro Guillier got 45.52 votes. He will hold his post from 18 March 2018 next year.
- Former Expenditure and Revenue Secretary NK Singh appointed as chairperson of the Fifteenth Finance Commission. His tenure will be until October 30, 2019.
- Former national rugby captain Aga Hussain has been elected the president of Asia Rugby. He has thus become the first Indian to occupy the post.
- Acclaimed South African Indian-origin AIDS researcher Professor Quarraisha Abdool Karim has been appointed as a UNAIDS Special Ambassador for Adolescents and HIV.
October 2017 Current Affairs
- Birendra Prasad Baishya has been re-elected president of the Indian Weightlifting Federation (IWLF) in the Annual General Body Meeting.
- Anil Khaitan, Chairman of SNK Corp has taken over as the new President of PHD Chamber of Commerce and Industry. SNK Corporation chairman, Anil khaitan has replaced Gopal Jeevrajaka.
- Gautam Bambawale has been appointed as India's new Ambassador to China. Bambawale is an Indian Foreign Service Officer of the 1984 batch. He will succeed Vijay Gokhale.
- Leading industrialist Rajinder Gupta has been unanimously elected as the president of the Punjab Cricket Association.
- India TV chairman and editor-in- chief Rajat Sharma will be the new president of the News Broadcasters Association (NBA) for 2017-18.
- Senior bureaucrat Rajni Sekhri Sibal has been appointed the director general (DG) of the government-run National Institute for Entrepreneurship and Small Business Development, in place of Vijay Kumar Dev.