December 2015 Current Affairs
- Just two months after a 7.5-magnitude earthquake destroyed thousands of houses and killed over 300 people in Afghanistan and Pakistan, strong tremor of 6.4-magnitude was recorded near Afghanistan- Tajikistan border on late Friday night. Extent of the tremor was felt in northern India, especially in Delhi, Jaipur, Chandigarh, and NCR (National Capital Region).
- Himachal Pradesh's Mandi district was rocked by a low-intensity earthquake. However, there was no loss of life. Tremors of the magnitude 3.8 earthquake were felt for some seconds in several parts of Mandi and nearby districts at 6.34 a.m
- Jammu and Kashmir is facing one of the worst floods in around 60 years. Thousands are marooned and over 160 have already died. Most of the places in Srinagar, the capital city, are submerged and people are waiting on their rooftops and terraces for rescue. The communication facilities are also down even as the Indian Air Force and the Army continue their massive rescue operations
- After the Cyclone Phailin now Andhra Pradesh gets ready to face cyclonic storm, Helen. Prakasam district is gearing up to face the brunt of the storm which is expected to reach the coast falling in Chennai and Ongole tomorrow night.
- Uttar Pradesh is facing the wrath of floods where the death toll reached 152 and many rivers have breached the danger mark. The situation is further worsened because of the torrential downpour and more than 5 lakh people have been displaced.
- In Uttar Pradesh, the flood situation has deteriorated after torrential rains leading to loss of lives of 116 people in the past 14 days. Floods have hit ten districts as the rivers like Sharda, Saryu and Ghaghra are overflowing and heavy downpour continued on Wednesday in different places.
- The northeastern states were jolted by a 5.1-magnitude quake? at 12.08 am on October 3. The epicentre was in Assam's Sonitpur district which is at the border with Arunachal Pradesh as per the statement by the regional seismological center.