August 2018 Current Affairs
April 2018 Current Affairs
- NDA candidate Harivansh Narayan Singh has won the Rajya Sabha's Deputy Speaker's election. He defeated Congress candidate BK Hariprasad, who was elected on August 09. During the second voting process, Harivans got 125 votes while UPA candidate BK Hariprasad got 105 votes. 2 members remained absent from voting.
- The Khangchendzonga Biosphere Reserve, one of the highest ecosystems in the world, has been added to UNESCO's list of World Network of Biosphere Reserve (WNBR). The Khangchendzonga reserve will be the 11th internationally designated WNBR.
- The Criminal Law Amendment Bill, 2018 has been passed in Parliament. The Rajya Sabha passed it on 6th August 2018 by voice vote Lok Sabha has passed it last month itself. Now the provision of minimum punishment for misbehaving with girls below 12 years of age has been reduced to 20 years (earlier this sentence used to be 10 years old) can be extended to life imprisonment or death penalty and gang rape for life imprisonment or death sentence can be given.
- India has been made Vice President of the Asia Pacific region of the World Customs Organization (WCO) for a period of two years. The WCO has divided its membership into 6 zones. Each of the six areas is represented by the regional elected vice-president in the WCO Council. WCO represents 182 customs administrators worldwide, which collectively process around 98 percent of world trade.
- According to the figures released by the World Bank in the year 2017, India has become the sixth largest economy in the world while France reached the seventh place.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and South Korean President Moon-Jay-In inaugurated the new Samsung Company's Plant on July 09, 2018 in Noida, Uttar Pradesh. Started by the legendary mobile company Samsung, it is the world's largest phone factory. Located in Sector 81, Noida, the land of Samsung Electronics extends over 35 acres.
- Tamil Nadu's 19-year-old BA student Anukreethy Vas won the 'Femina Miss India 2018' title. Femina Miss India 2018 beauty pageant held in Mumbai on June 19, she defeated 29 participants crowning Miss India. Meenakshi Chaudhary of Haryana was the first runner-up and Andhra Pradesh's Shreya Rao was the 2nd runner-up.
- The Tamil Nadu government has announced the ban on the use of plastic items, including the polyethylene bag which is not biologically destroyed from January 2019 on the occasion of World Environment Day on 05 June 2018. The state government has taken this step to give the gift of plastic free state for the future.
- The 16 year old girl of Haryana, Shivangi Pathak, made history by defeating the world's highest peak Mt. Everest (29,000 feet) on May 17, 2018. She has become the youngest Indian woman to do this.
- BSE U.S. Has become the first Indian exchange to be recognized as the Offshore Securities Market (DOSM) designated by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).
- The Indian Institute of Science (IISc) has been ranked 13th in the top 50 universities in the Times Higher Education Emerging Economics University Ranking 2018.
April 2018 Current Affairs
- Dalmiya Bhartia Limited has signed MoU with the Ministry of Tourism to make Red Fort and Gandakota Fort (Andhra Pradesh) under the 'Adopt A Heritage' project. Dalmiya Bharat Group, under the contract of 25 crore rupees for the next five years, has adopted 'Red Cross' as the first corporate house in Indian history.
- Jammu and Kashmir has become the first state to approve the 7th Central Pay Commission's recommendations. In the Cabinet meeting held in the Secretariat on 24th April, 2018 under the chairmanship of Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti, the approval for the implementation of the recommendations of the Seventh Pay Commission was approved. These recommendations will be effective from January 2016.
- The Union Cabinet on 21 april approved the promulgation of the Fugitive Economic Offenders Ordinance 2018, which would empower the government to seize the domestic assets of those deemed by a relevant court to be fugitive economic offenders.
- Assam Chief Minister Sarbanamb Sonowal has started the 'toll-free' helpline number '181-Sakhi' in the state in view of security of women on March 29, 2018. Women can use this helpline for any kind of assistance, including medical emergency, family advice etc. These helpline movies will be available from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. in the evening.