April 2018 Current Affairs
March 2016 Current Affairs
- Sikkim Chief Minister Pawan Chamling became the longest-serving chief minister of any state as he completed 25 uninterrupted years in office. He broke the record of former West Bengal Chief Minister Jyoti Basu, who held office for 23 years. The founding president of the ruling Sikkim Democratic Front (SDF) became chief minister in December 1994.
- Former Uttarakhand and Uttar Pradesh chief minister and a senior Congress leader, Narayan Dutt Tiwari along with his son Rohit Shekhar joined the BJP. The 91 year old leader was thrice the chief minister of Uttar Pradesh (1976-77, 1984-85, 1988-89) and once the chief minister of Uttarakhand (2002-2007).
- Cricketer-turned-politician Navjot Singh Sidhu today joined Congress ahead of assembly poll in Punjab after meeting party Vice President Rahul Gandhi.
- Former Union minister and four-time MP from Khurja-Noida seat, Ashok Pradhan, rejoined BJP on Friday after a three-year stint with the ruling Samajwadi Party in Uttar Pradash. Three other SP functionaries from Noida also joined the BJP along with Pradhan.
- In a bid to empower the transgender community in Odisha, the state government has decided to implement five sub-schemes launched by the central government.The sub-schemes will be implemented by the state government through its newly-created Department of Social Security and Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (SSEPD).
- Gujarat government announced 10 percent reservation for economically backward classes (EBCs) in general category. EBCs in the upper castes, include Patidars, with a family income cap of 6 lakh rupees a year that is 50000 rupees per month can avail the benefit.
- Bangladesh Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina approved a draft of the Bangladesh Supreme Court Judge (Investigation Act) 2016. It will empower the Parliament to impeach a judge in the Supreme Court, if allegation of misconduct or incapacity is proved.
March 2016 Current Affairs
- The Haryana cabinet approved the Jat reservation bill. This comes a day after the Akhil Bhartiya Jat Aarakshan Sangharsh Samiti (ABJASS), the body that spearheaded the Jat quota stir in February
- The Rajya Sabha passed a landmark Real Estate Bill with a promise to secure the interests of homebuyers and developers in equal measure and remove corruption and inefficiency from the sector. This bill, passed with all the new recommendations that were cleared by the Union cabinet in December, will regulate both commercial and residential projects and set up state-level regulatory authorities to monitor real estate activity
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly passed the UP Revenue Code (Amendment) Bill 2016 replacing an ordinance issued by the Governor Ram Naik. The Bill allows Dalits of the state to sell their land to non-Dalits in the state without approval of the administration even if their remaining holding is less than 3.5 acres.
- J P Nadda, Union Health and Welfare Minister, has termed as misleading Himachal Pradesh CM Virbhadra Singh’s statement regarding the stoppage of the central government's grants.
- The Ministry of Urban Development (MoUD) has stated that the government will construct the memorial for commemorating the life and work of late President APJ Abdul Kalam at Rameshwaram in Tamil Nadu.