May 2018 Current Affairs
May 2016 Current Affairs
- Scientists have discovered world’s second oldest grain of magmatic zircon (a mineral that contains traces of radioactive isotopes) from Champua Singhbhum rock sample in Odisha’s Kendujhar district. It is an estimated 4,240 million years old, making it world’s second oldest rock ever to be discovered. It is oldest magmatic zircon on earth.
- An indigenously developed light weight 'Glide' bomb has been successfully tested in Chandipur in Odisha. The bomb -- Smart Anti Airfield Weapon (SAAW) -- was dropped from an Indian Air Force aircraft. SAAW will be soon inducted into the armed forces.
- United States President Barack Obama on 27 August 2016 expanded Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument off Hawaii, creating the world's largest marine reserve.
- China on 16 August 2016 launched the world's first quantum satellite named Quantum Experiments at Space Scaler (QUESS) satellite. The satellite was launched from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Centre in the remote northwestern province of Gansu.
- China on 6 August 2016 successfully launched its first satellite for mobile telecommunication, Tiantong-01. Tiantong-01 satellite was launched from southwestern China's Xichang Satellite Launch Center, with the Long March-3B carrier rocket. More geostationary satellites will be sent into orbit for the system.
- Brazilian researchers on 21 July 2016 announced that they have found another species of mosquito, which is able to transmit the Zika virus to humans. The scientists found the presence of the Culex quinquefasciatus mosquito infected by the Zika virus in three out of 80 groups of mosquitoes analysed up until now.
- Juno spacecraft of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) on 4 July 2016 successfully entered Jupiter’s orbit. Confirmation of a successful orbit insertion was received from Juno tracking data monitored at the navigation facility at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL).
May 2016 Current Affairs
- India successfully test fired an indigenously developed Advanced Air Defence interceptor missile, Ashwin. It was launched from the complex of Abdul Kalam Island (formerly known as Wheeler Island) off Odisha coast. The advanced version of low altitude supersonic ballistic interceptor missile was fired at a ballistic missile, a modified version of Prithvi weapon system. It was test fired to validate various parameters of the interceptor in flight mode.
- The world’s first public dengue vaccination programme was launched in the Philippines as nurses began injecting the first batch of a million children with a French drug to combat the sometimes deadly disease. Hundreds of fourth-graders at a public school in metropolitan Manila’s Marikina city were given the first of three shots of Dengvaxia.