Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) Information:
Union Public Service Commission is an institution established by the Constitution of India, which conducts examinations for the appointment of Public Service Officers of the Government of India. The first public service commission was established on 1st October 1926. The main role of the Union Public Service Commission is to select individuals for appointment to various central civil services and posts and services in general for the Central and States.
Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) Chairman 2018:
The current (Present) chairmen of the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) is Arvind Saxena. Arvind Saxena is working as Executive Chief of UPSC from June 20, 2018. In a statement issued by the Ministry of Personnel on November 28, Arvind Saxena has been approved by President Ramnath Kovind as the new Chairman of the UPSC. His tenure will be till 07 August 2020, when he becomes 65 years old. The First UPSC chairman was Sir Ross Barker.
List of UPSC Chairmen (1926-2018):
|Name of Chairman||Tenure|
|Sir Ross Barker||October 1926 to August 1932|
|Sir David Petrie||August 1932 to 1936|
|Sir Eyre Gorden||1937 to 1942|
|Sir F. W. Robertson||1942 to 1947|
|H. K. Kripalani||April 1947 to January 1949|
|R. N. Banerjee||January 1949 to May 1955|
|N. Govindarajan||May 1955 to December 1955|
|V. S. Hejmadi||December 1955 to December 1961|
|B. N. Jha||December 1961 to February 1967|
|K. R. Damle||April 1967 to March 1971|
|R.C.S. Sarkar||May 1971 to February 1973|
|A. R. Kidwai||February 1973 to February 1979|
|M. L. Shahare||February 1979 to February 1985|
|H. K. L. Capoor||February 1985 to March 1990|
|J. P. Gupta||March 1990 to June 1992|
|R. M. Bathew (Kharbuli)||September 1992 to August 1996|
|S. J. S. Chhatwal||August 1996 to September 1996|
|J. M. Qureshi||September 1996 to December 1998|
|Lt. Gen. Surinder Nath||December 1998 to June 2002|
|P. C. Hota||June 2002 to September 2003|
|Mata Prasad||September 2003 to January 2005|
|S. R. Hashim||January 2005 to April 2006|
|D. P. Agrawal||August 2008 to August 2014|
|Rajni Razdan||August 2014 to November 2014|
|Deepak Gupta||November 2014 to September 2016|
|Alka Sirohi||September 21, 2016 to January 3, 2017|
|David R. Syiemlieh||January 4, 2017 to January 21, 2018|
|Vinay Mittal||January 22, 2018 to June 19, 2018|
|Arvind Saxena||June 20, 2018 to till date|
Last Update: 01 December 2018
Work and roles of the Union Public Service Commission
- Recruitment through organizing competition examinations on services and posts subject to association.
- Recruitment by selection through interview on services and posts under Central Government.
- Consultation on the suitability of officials for transfer on deputation along with appointment on promotion.
- To advise the government on all matters related to the recruitment system on various services and posts.
- Culinary matters related to various civil services.
- Various cases related to reimbursement of extraordinary pension, legal expenditure etc.
Election Process of Union Public Service Commission members:
Members of the Commission are appointed by the President of India. At least half of the members are members of a public service, who have minimum 10 years of experience. They have a tenure of 6 years or 65 years of age. They can ever give their resignation to the President. Earlier, the President could dismiss him for indulging in the post or indulging in illegal activities.
The Major Examinations conducted by the UPSC:
The main function of the Union Public Service Commission is to select the members for the center and the state services for the people. For this, it operates various examinations. Some of these main exams are as follows:-
- Combined Medical Services Examination (in February)
- National Defense Academy and Naval Academy Examination (in April and September)
- Civil Services (Initial) Examination (in May)
- Indian Forest Service Examination (in July)
- Engineering Services Examination (in July)
- Special Class Railway Apprentices Test (in August)
- Indian Finance Service / Indian Statistical Service Examination (in September)
- Civil Services (Head) Examination (in October / November)
- Combined Defense Services Examination (in May and October)
- Geologist exam (in December)
- Section Officer / Stenographer (Grade B / Grade 1) Limited
- Departmental Competitive Examination (in December)
Apart from this, recruitment of officers of state public service from the Union Public Service as an officer, making rules for recruitment, organizing departmental promotion committees, resolving any other matter referred to by the President of India etc. are also to be done.